Looking for something beyond diamonds or chocolate and flowers? Here are some suggestions that don’t involve your pocketbook, but can have a big impact on your relationship.
- Do something simple around the house – but beat her to the ask. Find something to fix or clean or a chore undone – and do it. Bonus points if you finish before she finds out.
- Devote time to be together. Do it today, and not just now, every day, every week, all year long. Schedules can fill up fast, so set aside time for what is important.
- Hand write notes – key tips: leave ithemt somewhere surprising. Say something specific.
- Go someplace different – make it a getaway.
- Order food in – and create an evening together.
- Take the day off, and spend it together.
- Say “I love you” in ten different settings. The verbal word is powerful – find different places to say, “I love you” that are unexpected.
- Praise her to an audience.
- Put a photo album together, or short video. Remember some milestones that you’ve crossed together.
- Give her a hug, and hold her hand in public.
One of the things I find rewarding about estate planning, is that it is one way to say “I love you” to your family.
Originally published 2/12/15, updated 2/11/16.
Image courtesy of James Barker at FreeDigitalPhotos.net